"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Sunday, October 14, 2012

Container for the Thing Contained


How is it we haven't talked about this yet?


"Dance Party" Record Case (Capitol, 1961)
 
I found this in a thrift store twenty years ago. It's currently crammed with 45s, including my signed Joe Strummer picture disc, "Kinky Boots" by Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman, and assorted singles from Elvis Costello, The Clash, Tom Waits, Harry Belafonte, Stan Getz, XTC, etc.
 
Normally, I'm a stickler for buying things in perfect condition, but the brown crayon on this case only makes me love it more. 
 
And the dancing figures remind me of Jay Ward cartoons:
 
 
 
The box also contains some stray ephemera: old postcards, a few pieces of artwork from my children, a couple of old business cards.
 
And this:
 
 
 
Birthday wishes from "Sheriff" John Rovick, who hosted a cartoon show (Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade) for kids from 1952-1970 on L.A.'s KTTV.  If you tuned in on your birthday, he'd read your name and sing "The Birthday Cake Polka." 
 
And then there's this, stolen right off the table from Bob's Big Boy:
 
 
 
Maybe I hold onto things for too long.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment