"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Thursday, November 29, 2012

Goodwill Toward Vinyl


I bought some records on the way home from work. 

I went to Goodwill looking for books, but they had a lot of new (old) records and I got down on my hands and knees to flip through them.  There must have been 200. 

I bought three, paid a buck for each one. 


Two Sides of Wanda (Capitol, ST-2030)

"There are two sides of Wanda Jackson's talent, and one has been just as important as the other to her fame and success.

The two sides of this record demonstrate those two wonderful sides, those two great styles of Wanda Jackson, with twelve top songs--half of them as swingingly, and half as them as beautifully done as anything Wanda has ever recorded. 

Side one presents the rocking, swinging, bluesy Wanda at her best . . ."

Then there's side two--the sweet, rich, beautiful ballad side of Wanda Jackson . . ."


Up And Away (Wand T91011)


This Kingsmen record doesn't have their big hit, "Louie, Louie," but I'm happy with it just the same.  It's got a Beatles cover ("If I Needed Someone"), a Stones cover ("Under My Thumb"), and a bunch of other songs you've heard elsewhere: "Wild Thing," "Land of a Thousand Dances," "Mustang Sally," "Shake a Tail Feather," etc.

I threw the record on my turntable and listened while I washed dishes.  It sounded terrible and I thought the record was severely damaged.  Turns out someone turned off the stereo feature on my receiver; once I restored it, the record sounded just fine.  Old, yes, but still listenable. 


The Threepenny Opera (MGM E3121)


I'm in love with Lotte Lenya and Kurt Weill, so whenever I see a copy of The Threepenny Opera soundtrack, I buy it.  I can't help it, I have no choice in the matter.

This is the 1954 off-Broadway cast recording featuring Lotte Lenya, Bea Arthur, Charlotte Rae, and John Astin. 

The cover is faded, but the record sounds fine. 








No comments:

Post a Comment