"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Monday, March 11, 2013

Double Dylan (From the Bottom of the Deck)

Every few years I go through an intense Dylan phase.  I listen to the early records, I rewatch Don't Look Back (Pennebaker, 1967)and No Direction Home (Scorsese, 2005), and I hunt around for copies of Tarantula.  I used to see a nice copy every couple of years and sold each one as soon as I got my hands on it.  

Christ, I think it must be a dozen years since I've held one in my hands.  Needless to say, I refuse to buy one online.  If it's meant to be, it'll come my way.  

I went scouting for books on Sunday morning and ended up standing between a man in a trench coat with a bad cough and some chick named Maggie with a face full of black soot.  

Two books caught my eye.  

Michael Gray's Song and Dance Man: The Art of Bob Dylan (Dutton, 1972) was the first full-length critical study of Dylan and his music.  Copies in good shape are a little uncommon and this one was only $4.  I didn't think twice.

The other book was a first edition of Writings and Drawings by Bob Dylan (Alfred A. Knopf, 1973).  This is the first one I've seen that was pink; somewhere I have a copy that's brown.  The book was priced $3.50.

It's worth noting that even though these books were published within a year of each other, a new copy of the Dylan study cost $7.95 in 1972 while a book of Dylan's own lyrics, thick as a college textbook, cost $6.95 in 1972.

Oh me, oh my, love that.













No comments:

Post a Comment