"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Saturday, March 9, 2013

Oskar Nacht (2/24/13)

I had to work the weekend of the Academy Awards, which was fine because I wasn't that excited about the show this year.  

For my money, The Master was the best film of the year.  I loved Moonrise Kingdom, I loved Silver Linings Playbook, I have very fond memories of Life of Pi.  Couldn't care less about Lincoln. Didn't think too much of Django Unchained.
I thought Argo was fine, just not Best Picture.  I admire the way Ben Affleck rebuilt his career, directing his way right out of movie jail.

Like a lot of people, I enjoy having people over on Oscar night.  Everybody fills out a ballot, everyone puts in a buck.  Winner takes all.

I just couldn't do it this year, couldn't muster the requisite excitement.  It was nice having work as an excuse.  

But that didn't stop me from cooking and having some friends over.  We ate and drank and made fun of the people making fun of the other people. 

When it was over, everyone went home.

Two memories will linger from that evening:


Ben Affleck, looking genuinely moved by his victory
Liz





No comments:

Post a Comment