"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Saturday, March 16, 2013

Recent Gets

I wasn't in the market for Marianne Moore, but what are you going to do?  

Sometimes, book scouting is about liberating the few good items from garbage, separating wheat from chaff.

This copy of Like a Bulwark (Viking Press, 1956) was a couple bucks.  It's price-clipped and sports a small inscription ("With Love to Marina from  Don and Nancy/August 4th, 1964), but it looked so sad and lonesome sandwiched between the Rod McKuen and the Ogden Nash.

This was a rescue mission, an errand of mercy.  

The world can thank me later.




For me, this copy of They Came to Cordura (Random House, 1958) is less about Glendon Swarthout's novel, less about the movie (Rossen, 1959) starring Gary Cooper and Rita Hayworth, and more about the overall brightness of this 55 year-old book jacket.  

The scan doesn't really do it justice.  

There are other first editions from 1958 I'd rather have in my collection, but this is a fine reminder of how good a book can look, despite its age.

No comments:

Post a Comment