"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Monday, August 5, 2013

HIGH MARX


Another happy accident.

I was browsing at one of my usual joints on Sunday and noticed some unusually bright colors emanating from the poster display.  

Sandwiched between This is 40 and The Odd Life of Timothy Green were three vaguely psychedelic movie posters by Elaine Hanelock. The copyright (by Royal Screen Craft, Inc.) was dated 1968.

Clark Gable was ripped and I noticed some mold on the image of Wallace Beery and Marie Dressler, but the Marx Brothers poster was totally intact. I swear I've never seen it before, but there's something oddly familiar about it.

When I got home, I did a little research and discovered not much is known about Elaine Hanelock, aside from the fact that she's frequently listed as "Elaine Havelock."  This poster series also includes Laurel and Hardy, Clara Bow, Will Rogers, Charlie Chaplin,  W. C. Fields and Mae West, Jean Harlow, and John Barrymore.  

My walls have already been stripped of photographs and artwork, but I couldn't walk away from Harpo, Chico, and Groucho.  

What's $3 in trade credit?  





No comments:

Post a Comment