"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Saturday, April 6, 2013

MASTER BATES

I'm of two minds on the Psycho spin-off, Bates Motel, which should come as no surprise to anyone.

The show's creators (Carlton Cuse, Kerry Ehrin, and Anthony Cipriano) are taking real liberties with Robert Bloch's original characters, hatching a contemporary plot with a teenage Norman (Freddie Highmore) and his overprotective mother, Norma (Vera Farmiga).  They've moved the action to White Pine Bay, Oregon, and introduced Dylan, a Bates half-brother, a bunch of Norman's classmates (including one short-timer with cystic fibrosis), and a town full of pot farmers.  I understand all of it, but I just don't get it. I'm not exactly sure why we need a show like Bates Motel. I certainly didn't need any Psycho movie sequels. Hitchcock's original was plenty for me, even though author Robert Bloch chose to revisit Norman from time to time.  

I quit recording Bates Motel, but happened to watch the fourth episode.  It wasn't terrible but I just don't see the point.  I'm officially checking out of Bates Motel.  It'll be fine without me.

As it happens, I picked up a copy of the Psycho novel the other day.  I've never read it, but I think I'll give that a whirl instead.  

I have plenty of time on my hands.




No comments:

Post a Comment