"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Monday, May 27, 2013

COULDN'T GET ARRESTED (DEVELOPMENT)

I had lunch with Sammy yesterday and then we watched the first episode of Arrested Development on Netflix.

There were a few chuckles and one moment of outright hilarity but we didn't exactly dive right into the next one. I'm not saying we were disappointed, but after such a long hiatus I think we both expected non-stop comic gold. 

When I got home, I watched three more installments and began putting all the pieces together. 

That's when the real laughter started.

I couldn't be happier Arrested Development is back, but don't expect too much from the first thirty minutes. 

It's entertaining, of course, but you need to wade further into the material before you can fully appreciate the complex storyline.  The jokes are there and a lot of them are brilliant, but everything is so densely layered that the payoffs aren't always immediate. Stick with it.  

Creator Mitch Hurwitz advised viewers to take the new episodes slowly and not binge watch all 15 shows. On the other hand, binge watching is the only way to comprehend what's going on. 

I've finished seven episodes and once I'm done with the whole series I'll probably go back and start the process all over again, see things I missed the first time, laugh some more. 

Isn't that what we've all been doing since the show went off the air?


No comments:

Post a Comment