"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Sunday, June 30, 2013

DOUBLE DICKEL ON THE ROCKS


Well, I've been on the road. 

In between packing up the house and figuring out three different versions of my five-year plan, I flew off to a job interview in a part of the country I've never been and had no plans to visit.

It was a great trip. The people were lovely, the job sounds fun and challenging, and the one friend I have in the area gave me a great taste of the city.

As it happens, the city tastes an awful lot like honeysuckle sorbet and a fried oyster po' boy. 

My flight home was delayed by rain and additional bad weather in Baltimore, so it was close to midnight before I got to bed.

I spent all day yesterday packing boxes in slow motion. Some friends were visiting from Michigan and there was a small dinner party in their honor.

The evening was a blast, an absolute treat. I don't see most of my friends often enough (a personal failing, I know), but these particular people I'm lucky to see once a year. I would definitely make an effort to see them more frequently if we all lived closer.

I ended up drinking something from every branch of the alcohol tree (starting with shots of Dickel)and probably should have eaten more solid food. I guess I just got caught up in the moment.

People said good night and went home and others (the hostess, her guest) simply went to bed. There were three of us left. One minute we were talking and drinking and then my host was nudging me in the ribs at 2:30 in the morning asking if I wanted to sleep on the couch.

Feeling refreshed, I drove home without incident. No headache the next morning but I still felt badly dehydrated.

It was worth it.

Hangover by Alex Kenne (Farrar, Straus and Company, 1949)

1 comment: