"Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk."

"You will be fine for 31 minutes. You will be dead in 32 minutes."









Friday, September 28, 2012

Tolkien 'Bout a Revolution

Promotional button (2012)
I never read The Hobbit and I never read The Lord of the Rings.  There, I said it. 

In my experience, people who don't read a lot tend to make a lot of assumptions about people who do.  Same with movies.

I've worn glasses since seventh grade and worked in bookstores since college and yeah, I read a lot but I'm not interested in everything.  Nobody is.  Just because something is popular doesn't make it appealing.  "You like books, what did you think of Fifty Shades of Grey?"  Couldn't tell you.  Hunger Games?  I dunno. Harry Potter references are lost on me.

Do I consider myself a student of popular culture?  You bet.  Is it important to me that I know what's going on, that I know what people are chattering about?  Absolutely. 

But no, I don't read everything and I don't watch everything and the truth is, I don't even try.

No comments:

Post a Comment